* is the open actavist/grassroots archiveing project that "Resistance Exhibition" is the UK flow.
* Travelling open commons / archiving project
* boating europe (outline the trip)
* Applying for Lush central funding, with match funding / organizing from local Lush shops
* 8 venues over 2 years in 5-8 Europen countrys
* partner with local groups in each city (students, campaigning groups/ngo and Radical Grassroots) these will facilitate venue and outreach/publicity at each city/festival.
* Updateing the existing texts and pictures from Resistance UK exhibition and repack into A2 printed laminates to start the expo.
* This will be complemented with local physical objects ( banners, stickers, flyers, gas masks..) and original audio/video stories.
* Equipment needed: scanner / video capturing laptop / 5 x mp3 recorders / LED projecter/ budget for printing / Part-time pay for 2 people 6/8 month of work / running costs (trasport, electricity, Internet...)
* Outcome: unique collection of original material from across European countriesuploaded and stored in a open distributed repository.
Building up alt/grassroots media would be nice to get a reply :)
Good to get a reply about this project from you.
OMN is a network of Open Media Sites.
The currency (value) of the web is the link without linking content (no matter how good) it has little/no value online and will likely not be seen offline.
Left wing and progressive sites DO NOT LINK and share content with each other. This leads them to have little or no value outside the bubble/echo chambers. And we are surprised and depressed when we always loose, there is nothing surprising about this, but there is something depressing about it.
Why is the OMN different to all the other activist tech failed projects.
The top 5:
1) It's based on the #4opens, meaning it doesn't have the buy-in issue of NGO's and dotcons and can spread as wildly as the original WWW if people start to use it/build it out.
2) It's KISS, that is simple and standards based, so open to be built-out in unseen directions and open to wide creativity.
3) It's not under the control of one group and is a universal in its subject matter, so can build and link many niches to link a real alternative.
4) It solidifies a morality of co-operation and trust rather than fear and compation.
5) It gives the tech/grassroots #fashionista's something useful to do and promote at their events.
Aren't Real Media doing this anyway, linking all media groups together? Afraid I'm not techie enough to understand what OMN is, how it's different, or any of the points you've made, but I'm happy to go along with what everyone else decides if it can be explained in plain English!
We have done some "user story’s" https://github.com/Openmedianetwork/OMN/wiki/user-storys hope this helps get away from the tech :)
This is a part list of current working roll-out https://github.com/tomspost/OMN/wiki your content already appears as links on all these sites as you post it.
The realmedia site/project is version of the visionontv project we were fund-raising and trying to build 10 years ago. Fine for the silo it is but the world has moved on.
All current successful projects are networks or in the case of the #dotcon social networks (closed) sudo networks.
Currently the OMN is the only bud of a network we have in place in the alt/progressive.
What dues the OMN mean for the XXXX
Nothing has to change in what you do if you don’t want to do more.
To be part of the network you add a easy OMN sidebar/section/page to your existing site with the content flow you are interested in from any OMN site.
At the moment the is just the one/first that covers the best of grassroots media from a UK focus so use that one http://omn.openworlds.info:8080
That’s it, you can do more if you like but don’t have to.
What this means is that your site will link and share content with other grassroots/alt media sites on there sidebar/section/pages.
Your content as you publish it on your site will appear (you do not have to do anything for this to work) on many other OMN sidebars/sections/pages on other sites and blogs.
What we are talking about is building huge distribution outside Facebook. You can, and should continue to use Facebook etc. what the OMN dues is start to build independent and horizontal alternative that runs/expands in parallel, its working now.
Am more than happy to help set-up the embed in your wordpress site, will take 20 min.
Be the first of the 4 alt/grassroots media sites to take the step ;)
Just in case you are worried about security of your site all scripting is striped from the articles and links and the embed is a standard plug-in that comes from the wordpress market that 1000's of people have been using for years with out any issues.
Its mature and safe tech that just works.
I have been talking about the fashernisatas for the last few years, its an idea/group that I have been struggling to work with my whole time in the alt/grassroots. So what is a #fahernista?
A group of individuals who value/push there own individual advancement over the needs of the croup and community, generally they do not realise or see that they are doing this. This has the end affect of diluting and killing off possible alternatives and selling “grassroots” to NGO's and corporatist agenda’s. #fashernista takeing over projects in hand with the geek problem's has lead to endless dead-ends in all alt/grassroots tech. Most recently this has manifested in encrypt everything, bitcoin/blockchain ect. this is a dead end.
The #OMN linking project is basic tech that I have been working on for more than 10 years, in past times the has been more interesting tech/social problems in alt/grassroots media to work on so linking has taken a back seat as its basic stuff. At this stage we only have the basics left. Lets take a first step linking alt/grassroots producers, and build tools to push this into a #rebooted open web to start the needed move out of the #dotcon ghetto's. Lets try as hard as we can to avoid #fahernisa take over of this basic #reboot. #fahernista will set-up parallel projects, raise parallel funding, push these into the traditional media and dominate the #dotcon conversation. Non of this inevitable pointless #fahernista noise should distract from the basics, as it will just flash bang and fad into nothing. Keep the basics going, linking, building. In the long term the rest is noise, distraction, for the conspiracy minded its our very own “false flag”.
Hummm... how to spot drift into the #fahernisat agenda?
The is a strong anti-dote in the #4opens
How to move on with alt/grassroots media producers linking to each other? Currently the shamelessly do not do this, even though they have repeatedly stated they do over the last 5 years.
1) Keep private messaging them on steps they can take, this works to an extent, as asked them to add more tags to their posts and they “broke” the User Interface on the #OMN software we are using by adding lots more – which is a good problem to have :)
2) Publicly talk to them as a alt/grassroots media group in blog post and their social media – this currently has little affect.
3) Talk to them in public as producer groups – this has had a limited affect with some of the groups, will try this more.
4) Public talk to them as individual's, this will generally get a private response and little action just words so far.
5) Name them as groups who do not link/share in public, this might be needed for some of the groups.
6) Name them as individuals within the producer groups and push for linking directly to them in public, name and point to the individual that this is a clear #fail a last stage.
Its a shame that this escalation is needed - linking is a clear path to success on the web – the right-wing blogs/producers do this, its a blank faced #fail that the left/progressive do not now and generally never have.
“Make the world you wont to see” LINKING is a strong path to this.
Looking for helpful/happy people to crowed source the active conversation to make this happen.
Lets start with these groups.
The OMN is an open network so we call each of the sites “nodes” as they are small parts of the wider World Wide Web (WWW). Openworlds is the first node/site of the network, currently with links to 10 embeds on sites as an initial soft roll out. We are aiming to expand this out up to 100 sites over the summer for the hard launch.
If you have a web site and want to play a part in this “soft roll out” go to openworlds
Step 1: If you are interested in only some subjects or groups, click on group tags (with @ in front) and/or subject tags. You can choose as many as you like and then only these will show up in your river embed. Then click the RSS link.
Step 2: Take the URL of the RSS feed, in the new window that opens. Go to your CMS/site/blog and install a RSS display/widget and add the RSS URL to it. You can use the formatting options to change the number of items and what info to display to make it look nice.
That’s it for now, your site is now a part of a open alt/grassroots media network. Playing a role in linking and cooperating to build a progressive worldview empowering people to build a better world.
This is the first stage of the Open Blogging Network. Currently you have to have a blog on the OMN server, but a bit of programming will enable any blog (vier a RSS feed) to be a part of the network.
Don't be a spectator, be part of the conversation. If you post to your blog on your public page, it is automatically syndicated out to twitter, facebook, and any sites that embed the news aggregator. Just add the relevant tag when you publish (such as frontpage, grassroots, globalviews, friendlyfire, plugandplay, headmix).
Matthew Paul Foster